Welcome to the Western Washington University on-line application process. Before you begin, please print out the job announcement; you may need to refer to it while completing the application. |
|About the Position: The Western Washington University Library seeks a creative and innovative person to serve as Diversity Resident Librarian. The objective of the residencyis two-fold: 1) to attract and set the foundation for a recent graduate in a challenging and rewarding career as an academic librarian and 2) to improve Western Washington Libraries efforts to reach out to and engage students, faculty, and community members from diverse backgrounds. The person in this position will report to the Assistant Dean for Public Services and provide support to reference, instruction, and outreach efforts, working in these areas to engage library users. |
The successful applicant will have the following: strong interpersonal and communication skills, with a demonstrated understanding of multi-cultural competency; demonstrated ability to effectively interact with diverse student, faculty, and staff populations; demonstrated ability to relate to and address the needs and challenges of minority students on a predominately white campus, as well as the needs of students from other diverse groups, including LGBT students and students with disabilities; ability to foster a collaborative work environment in the Library that emphasizes inclusion.
Based on the interest of the successful candidate and the needs of the library, other areas of librarianship may also be explored. The Resident will be expected to participate in diversity outreach initiatives and will receive support to do so. An important component of this position will be collaboration with other librarians and inclusion on library committees. The successful candidate will bring vision and energy to serving students, faculty and staff at an outstanding comprehensive public institution.
This is a full time, one year (limited term) position. Deadline for applications is August 27th, 2010. The position will be available October 1, 2010.
|About the College/Department: Libraries
|Position Responsibilities: |
- Provide support at library public services points, including Instruction and Research Services: on-site and virtual reference service points and library instruction program; Circulation: the media desk, and reserves to serve the public and learn about different aspects of library public service
- Serve on committees with other library staff
- Contribute to an environment of collegiality, inclusion, trust, and teamwork that enables library staff to participate and contribute to the goals of the organization, particularly as they relate to valuing diversity
- Show effective working relationships within the public service unit, with other library departments, and the University community
|Required Qualifications: |
- An MLS or MLIS from an ALA-accredited program that was awarded after June 2008
- Demonstrated skills in interpersonal and written communication, and creative problem-solving
- Demonstrated experience working with diverse students, faculty and staff
- Demonstrated cross-cultural communication skills and multi-cultural competency skills
|Preferred Qualifications: |
- Previous experience working on diversity outreach projects in or outside of libraries
- Previous instruction experience; instruction experience from practicums and internships is sufficient
|Academic Emphasis: Libraries
|Job Location: Western Washington University, Bellingham, WA
|Bargaining Union: United Faculty of Western Washington|
|Application Instructions and Requested Documents: Please log in below and submit your application via WWU's Electronic Application System for Employment (EASE). Note: You will need to be using Internet Explorer to fully utilize our online application system. |
A letter of application detailing your qualifications, a curriculum vitate, and a list of three references is required. You can upload or cut and paste your materials as noted on the EASE application.
|Other Information: For further information, please contact Ms. Connie Mallison, Search Committee Coordinator, by e-mail at Connie.Mallison@wwu.edu
|Job Posted: 7/30/2010|
|Closing Date: 8/27/2010|
|Recruitment #: 100572|
|Western Washington University (WWU) is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer
committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and
veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to
fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, WWU does not discriminate on the basis of race, color,
creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and parenting status), disability, age, veteran status, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information in its programs or activities, including
employment, admissions, and educational programs. See WWU's Policy on Ensuring Equal Opportunity and
Prohibiting Discrimination and Retaliation. Inquiries may be directed to the Vice Provost for Equal Opportunity and
Employment Diversity, Title IX and ADA Coordinator, Equal Opportunity Office, Western Washington University, Old Main
345 (MS 9021), 516 High Street, Bellingham, WA 98225; 360.650.3307 (voice) or 711 (Washington Relay); email@example.com|
WWU is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request. To request this document in an alternate format or to request an accommodation, please contact Human Resources Disability Services, 360.650.3774 or 711 (Washington Relay).
All new employees must comply with the immunization policy and show employment eligibility verification as required by the U.S. Citizen and Immigration Service before beginning work at WWU. A thorough background check will be conducted on all new hires.