Welcome to the Western Washington University on-line application process. Before you begin, please print out the job announcement; you may need to refer to it while completing the application. |
|About the Position: The Western Washington University Libraries seeks a Senior Developer for Digital Initiatives to lead the development, implementation and maintenance of applications which support digital initiatives. The successful candidate in this new key position will work with content specialists to test, evaluate, and develop web tools and applications. The Senior Developer will manage complex technical projects, working both independently and as a member of a team. This is a full time, professional exempt position and reports to the Head of Library IT. Salary is competitive, based upon qualifications. The Libraries are committed to Western’s strategic goal of recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and welcome diverse applicants.
|About the College/Department: Libraries
|Position Responsibilities: |
- Designs, develops, and documents digital projects, web applications, and automated staff workflows
- Creates, tests, modifies and maintains database-driven web applications
- Researches, identifies, and recommends systems for future needs
- Applies web expertise to surface digital collections on the open web and to gather user-generated content
- Integrates digital content into the information environment of the University, including the library website (Drupal), Blackboard, the campus portal, and ContentDM
- Creates training documentation and leads training workshops
- Works with content specialists to conduct prototyping, product testing, and usability research in evaluating tools for the management of digital collections
- Participates in team meetings, planning sessions, and projects
- Develops and maintains professional affiliation with other programmers and web development specialists
- Collaborates and consults with faculty and staff at other institutions involved in digital initiatives
- Works with Library IT personnel to support existing web presence, including the library website, Viking Village, the Library’s Intranet, the open-url resolver (360 Link), and the mobile presence
|Required Qualifications: |
- At least three years' extensive experience with one or more high-level programming languages
- Experience using relational databases (such as MySQL)
- Demonstrable Linux/Windows literacy
- Demonstrated aptitude with web graphic design
- Experience with a content management system, preferably Drupal
- Ability to create clear and concise written documentation and maintenance procedures
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
|Preferred Qualifications: |
- Experience testing interfaces for usability and effectiveness
- Experience working with large existing code bases and / or open-source products using sustainable practices (such as embodying local changes as patches that can be re-applied efficiently to new upstream versions)
- Experience working in an academic library, digital library setting, or other research environment
|Academic Emphasis: N/A
|Job Location: Western Washington University, Bellingham, WA
|Salary: Commensurate with experience and qualifications
|Bargaining Union: Not applicable|
|Application Instructions and Requested Documents: |
Please log in below and submit your application via WWU's Electronic Application System for Employment (EASE). Note: You will need to be using Internet Explorer to fully utilize our online application system.
Please submit a resume and cover letter in word or pdf format, and provide names and contact information for three professional references.
As part of the cover letter, please address the following questions: Supplemental Questions:
- Please indicate your experience using the following languages and tools. For each, indicate your length of experience (years or months) and your level of experience: basic, intermediate, advanced.
- Unix/Linux literacy
- Windows literacy
- Other programming languages (please specify)
|Other Information: Follow Western Employment on Facebook and WWUEmployment on Twitter
|Job Posted: 8/20/2012|
|Closing Date Notes: Application review begins September 17, 2012; position is open until filled|
|Recruitment #: 120644|
|Western Washington University (WWU) is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, WWU does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information in its programs or activities, including employment, admissions, and educational programs. See WWU's Policy on Providing Equal Opportunity and Nondiscrimination.
EO/AA inquiries may be directed to the Vice Provost for Equal Opportunity and Employment Diversity, Title IX Coordinator, Equal Opportunity Office, Western Washington University, Old Main 345 (MS 9021), 516 High Street, Bellingham, WA 98225; 360.650.3307 (voice) or 711 (Washington Relay); EOO.
WWU is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request. To request this document in an alternate format or to request an accommodation, please contact Human Resources Disability Services, 360.650.3774 or 711 (Washington Relay).
All new employees must comply with the immunization policy and show employment eligibility verification as required by the U.S. Citizen and Immigration Service before beginning work at WWU. A thorough background check will be conducted on all new hires.