Welcome to the Western Washington University on-line application process. Before you begin, please print out the job announcement; you may need to refer to it while completing the application. |
|About the Position: This is a part-time (.50 FTE) position. The Office Assistant 3 performs a variety of complex clerical assignments related to supporting faculty, staff and students in the Biology Department. This position is the first line of contact for the department.|
This position is part of a Washington Federation of State Employees bargaining unit. New employees are required to meet the membership requirements of the current collective bargaining agreement within 30 calendar days of employment.
|About the College/Department: In support of the mission of Western Washington University and the College of Sciences and Technology, the mission of the Biology Department is to provide an outstanding learning environment that integrates education, scholarship, and service in order to actively engage students in the biological sciences and foster their development as lifelong learners. Successful graduates of our Department will understand fundamental biological principles in depth, will have laboratory and field skills to answer biological questions, will have enhanced critical thinking and quantitative skills, will be able to communicate precisely and analytically in written and oral forms, and will be able to independently academic program options and answer questions.
|Position Responsibilities: |
- Provide support services for faculty, instructors, undergraduate and graduate student, and classified staff
- Receive and refer visitors; represent Biology Department to students, university and community, and disseminate department information
- Maintain and update the department’s website
- Process and maintain Copy Services and Printing requests
- Publicize and maintain Biology Department seminar schedule (10-12 per quarter, including graduate thesis seminars), obtain parking permits, and oversee seminar food/beverage service
- Prepare documents and reports from WWIS Banner Order, maintain, and distribute office supplies
- Maintain calendar of departmental deadlines for faculty, instructors and staff
- Train, direct, and assign work to work-study students
- Compile and maintain computer data bases for department directories, office hours, teaching schedules, course syllabi, and email contact trees
- Compose, revise and coordinate announcements and correspondence
- Respond to inquiries and resolve problems using departmental and campus procedures/guidelines
- Work with the Alumni Office to track and maintain a database of the location and job status of Biology Department graduates
- Perform other general office duties as necessary
|Required Qualifications: |
- High school graduate or equivalent
- Three years of clerical experience, which includes experience updating and maintaining departmental website or completion of two years college-level work relevant to duties or an equivalent combination of training/experience/college level training
- Proficiency in MS Word, MS Outlook, MS Excel, and Website design software, such as Dreamweaver
- Excellent inter-personal skills; the ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of students, faculty and staff
|Preferred Qualifications: |
- MS Access
- Banner system
- Ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Effective communication at a variety of organizational levels
|Academic Emphasis: N/A
|Job Location: Western Washington University, Bellingham, WA
|Salary: New hires typically begin at $1106/month including an excellent benefits package
|Bargaining Union: A|
|Application Instructions and Requested Documents: Please log in below and submit your application via WWU's Electronic System for Employment (EASE). A cover letter and resume are required and should address your experience related to the position responsibilities and the required and preferred qualifications. |
You may cut and paste your resume and cover letter as noted on the EASE application. Please complete the education and work experience section of the EASE application and submit the names and contact information of three professional references.
In addition to completing the EASE application, please complete the following supplemental questionnaire and e-mail to MaryAnn.Merrill@wwu.edu :
Biology Supplemental Questionnaire
|Other Information: Follow Western Employment on Facebook and WWUEmployment on Twitter
|Job Posted: 11/16/2012|
|Closing Date: 11/27/2012|
|Recruitment #: 120904|
|Western Washington University (WWU) is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, WWU does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information in its programs or activities, including employment, admissions, and educational programs. See WWU's Policy on Providing Equal Opportunity and Nondiscrimination.
EO/AA inquiries may be directed to the Vice Provost for Equal Opportunity and Employment Diversity, Title IX Coordinator, Equal Opportunity Office, Western Washington University, Old Main 345 (MS 9021), 516 High Street, Bellingham, WA 98225; 360.650.3307 (voice) or 711 (Washington Relay); EOO.
WWU is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request. To request this document in an alternate format or to request an accommodation, please contact Human Resources Disability Services, 360.650.3774 or 711 (Washington Relay).
All new employees must comply with the immunization policy and show employment eligibility verification as required by the U.S. Citizen and Immigration Service before beginning work at WWU. A thorough background check will be conducted on all new hires.