Welcome to the Western Washington University on-line application process. Before you begin, please print out the job announcement; you may need to refer to it while completing the application. |
|About the Position: The Custodian 1 works under general direction of the Facility Operations Manager and reports directly to the Lead Custodian. Custodians perform a variety of cleaning tasks in the residence halls, apartments, and dining facilities. The custodian works in the residential community and is frequently around residents and conference guests. For the purposes of emergencies or inclement weather, this position is considered essential personnel. |
This position is part of a Washington Federation of State Employees bargaining unit. New employees are required to meet the membership requirements of the current collective bargaining agreement within 30 calendar days of employment.
Hours: 7:30 – 4:00, Monday through Friday; position may be required to work weekends and/or overtime when necessary
|About the College/Department: University Residences
|Position Responsibilities: |
- Disinfect, clean and sanitize public and suite restrooms, showers and tubs
- Dust and wipe furniture, sweep, mop or vacuum floors, empty wastebaskets, trash, and recycle containers
- Replace light bulbs
- Strip, clean, buff and apply finish to floors; use high-speed floor buffers/polishers, vacuum and clean carpets
- Clean administrative offices, entrance halls, lobbies, stairs, landings, elevators, windows, porches, patios, and sundecks
- Clean outside of assigned buildings within 15 feet
- Change linen and make beds; issue linen and set up and take down bunk beds
- Be available to respond to emergencies and work occasional overtime and on weekends/holidays as required
- Use and maintain assigned power equipment and hand tools such as vacuums, brooms, mops, squeegee, carpet extractors, water pickup machines and ladders for cleaning and general maintenance of floors, walls, carpets, lights and furniture
- Report need for repairs and/or maintenance of custodial equipment and facilities
- Move furniture, equipment, supplies and tools on an as needed basis
- Apply de-icer material and remove snow and/or ice from walkways, pathways, patios, sidewalks and stairs
- Complete online timesheets, leave requests, maintenance requests and accident reports
- Comply with safety policies and procedures, especially regarding the use of chemicals and equipment
- Immediately report safety problems and accidents to your supervisor
- Assist in completing inventories of supplies and building inspections
- Follow a high volume work routine within a specific timeframe
- Follow established policies and procedures
- Accurately and safely mix chemicals according to label directions
- Use good judgment and maintain confidentiality when handling materials and fulfilling custodial duties
- Accurately complete and submit online leave requests per University policies and procedures
- Accurately complete and submit online timesheets per University policies and procedures
|Required Qualifications: |
- One year experience providing custodial duties in an educational or commercial setting
- Physical ability to lift a minimum of 25lbs to perform the required work
- Ability to interact in a positive manner with the campus community including students, staff, building managers, academic personnel, craft personnel, and coworkers in a diverse environment
- Ability to work effectively with employees at all levels of the organization, outside agencies, and the general public
- Demonstrated ability to read, write and follow oral/written instructions
- Basic computer skills to read and send email and complete online forms such as timesheets and leave requests
|Preferred Qualifications: |
- Two years experience in housekeeping or custodial work in a college or educational environment
- One year experience in a team cleaning environment
|Academic Emphasis: N/A
|Job Location: Western Washington University, Bellingham, WA
|Salary: New hires typically begin at $1929/month including an excellent benefits package
|Bargaining Union: B|
|Application Instructions and Requested Documents: Please log in below and submit your application via WWU's Electronic Application System for Employment (EASE). Note: You will need to be using Internet Explorer to fully utilize our online application system. |
A cover letter and resume are required and should address your experience related to the position responsibilities and the required and preferred qualifications. You may cut and paste or upload your resume and cover letter as noted on the EASE application.
Please complete the education and work experience section of the EASE application and submit the names and contact information of three professional references.
|Other Information: Follow Western Employment on Facebook and WWUEmployment on Twitter
|Job Posted: 1/25/2013|
|Closing Date: 2/8/2013|
|Recruitment #: 130014|
|Western Washington University (WWU) is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, WWU does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information in its programs or activities, including employment, admissions, and educational programs. See WWU's Policy on Providing Equal Opportunity and Nondiscrimination.
EO/AA inquiries may be directed to the Vice Provost for Equal Opportunity and Employment Diversity, Title IX Coordinator, Equal Opportunity Office, Western Washington University, Old Main 345 (MS 9021), 516 High Street, Bellingham, WA 98225; 360.650.3307 (voice) or 711 (Washington Relay); EOO.
WWU is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request. To request this document in an alternate format or to request an accommodation, please contact Human Resources Disability Services, 360.650.3774 or 711 (Washington Relay).
All new employees must comply with the immunization policy and show employment eligibility verification as required by the U.S. Citizen and Immigration Service before beginning work at WWU. A thorough background check will be conducted on all new hires.