Welcome to the Western Washington University on-line application process. Before you begin, please print out the job announcement; you may need to refer to it while completing the application. |
|About the Position: The Conference Administrator will manage and direct all aspects of the 2014 Salish Sea Ecosystem Conference. The person will create a clear planning process, schedule, management and tracking systems, goals and roles; facilitate the Call for Proposals, Call for Papers; edit all abstracts and other submissions and organize this material into the conference program. Will work with University Communications to develop publicity material, contact news media and issue press releases; create and maintain the conference website. Working with the various entities involved raise fund for the event. Finally, the Conference Administrator will create a comprehensive report at the end of the conference accounting for all the revenues and expenses, as well as detailing the strengths and weaknesses of the event. The process of closing-out the 2014 SSEC will be the beginning of the planning process for the 2016 conference. This is a temporary position (40 hours per week) ending August 31, 2014.
|About the College/Department: Canadian-American Studies
|Position Responsibilities: |
- Serve as the administrative leader and chief point of contact for all aspects of the conference. (20%)
- Create a clear planning process, schedule, management and tracking system, goals and roles for partners and support entities. (10%)
- Facilitate the Call for Proposals and Call for Papers; edit all abstracts and other submissions and organize this material into the conference program; work with other conference entities (Steering Committee, Advisory Committee) to create a full conference schedule. (20%)
- Work with the various entities involved and interested in the conference to raise funds for the event. (10%)
- Work with University Communications to develop publicity material, contact news media and issue press releases. (15%)
- Create and maintain a conference website and approve all content. (10%)
- Compile and edit reports from various committee members, session chairs, and exit surveys to evaluate the quality of the conference. Create a comprehensive report at the end of the conference accounting for all the revenues and expenses, as well as detailing the strengths and weaknesses of the event. The process of closing-out the 2014 SSEC will be the beginning of the planning process for the 2016 conference. (15%)
|Required Qualifications: |
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
- Strong understanding of the dynamics of US-Canada cross-border issues, particularly in the Pacific Northwest, including understanding who the key government, business, and academic stakeholders are in the region
- Demonstrated competency and experience with website development, blogging and internet marketing
- Experience managing or coordinating university-based academic conferences
- Experience in targeted fund raising for academic conferences or related activities
- Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, business or a related area
|Preferred Qualifications: |
- Master’s degree in the sciences, social sciences, business or related field.
|Academic Emphasis: |
|Job Location: Western Washington University, Bellingham, WA
|Salary: Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
|Bargaining Union: |
|Application Instructions and Requested Documents: Please log in below and submit your application via WWU’s Electronic Application System for Employment (EASE). Note: You will need to be using Internet Explorer to utilize our online application system. |
A cover letter and resume are required and should address your experience related to the position responsibilities and the required and preferred qualifications. You may cut and paste or upload your resume as noted on the EASE application.
Please complete the education and work experience section of the EASE application and submit the names and contact information of three professional references.
|Other Information: |
|Job Posted: 3/4/2013|
|Closing Date: 3/26/2013|
Closing Date Notes: Review of applications begins immediately; position is open until filled.
|Recruitment #: 130113|
|Western Washington University (WWU) is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer
committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and
veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to
fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, WWU does not discriminate on the basis of race, color,
creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and parenting status), disability, age, veteran status, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information in its programs or activities, including
employment, admissions, and educational programs. See WWU's Policy on Ensuring Equal Opportunity and
Prohibiting Discrimination and Retaliation. Inquiries may be directed to the Vice Provost for Equal Opportunity and
Employment Diversity, Title IX and ADA Coordinator, Equal Opportunity Office, Western Washington University, Old Main
345 (MS 9021), 516 High Street, Bellingham, WA 98225; 360.650.3307 (voice) or 711 (Washington Relay); firstname.lastname@example.org|
WWU is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request. To request this document in an alternate format or to request an accommodation, please contact Human Resources Disability Services, 360.650.3774 or 711 (Washington Relay).
All new employees must comply with the immunization policy and show employment eligibility verification as required by the U.S. Citizen and Immigration Service before beginning work at WWU. A thorough background check will be conducted on all new hires.