Welcome to the Western Washington University on-line application process. Before you begin, please print out the job announcement; you may need to refer to it while completing the application. |
|About the Position: AS Review Writers research, write, and submit articles for publication as assigned by the AS Review editors. |
Term of Position: Position begins after a qualified student is interviewed, selected and submits their employment paper work to the AS Personnel Office. The term of position will generally begin at the start of Fall quarter and end the Friday of finals week the following Spring quarter. Position may begin later in the year. Position holder is required to attend any trainings or orientations as required by the office coordinators or Director. The position requires an average of ten (10) to fifteen (15) hours per week, and no more than sixty (60) hours per month.
|About the College/Department: The AS Publicity Center (PC) provides promotional services such as graphic design, printing, reproduction, media coordination, internet facilitation, distribution, photography, and coverage in The AS Review to students, student organizations, and some campus departments.
|Position Responsibilities: |
AS Employment Responsibilities
- Research, write and submit articles as assigned by the AS Review Editor in a manner that is timely and in agreement with acceptable journalistic style.
- Keep accurate track of work hours on office timesheets and submits them on time.
- Discuss story ideas and make progress reports on articles to the AS Review Editor.
- Attend staff meetings and training as called by the Review Editor and/or the Publicity Center Coordinator.
- Maintain office hours as determined by the AS Review Editor.
- Generate ideas for improving and furthering the position.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Work with your direct supervisor to complete the hourly evaluation process as outlined by the Personnel Director.
- Serve the diverse membership of the Associated Students in a professional and ethical manner by:
- Being familiar with and upholding the AS Charter, all WWU policies, and all AS policies including the Employment Policy, Code of Conduct, and Program Standards.
- Attending AS staff development events, as assigned by the AS Personnel Office, and departmental staff development events.
- Being knowledgeable of the AS organization and its general operations.
- Serving on search committees as designated by the AS Personnel Director.
|Required Qualifications: |
- Maintain a minimum credit load throughout term of position of 6 credits for undergraduates and 4 credits for graduates.
- Maintain a minimum of a 2.00 cumulative grade point average.
|Preferred Qualifications: |
- Working knowledge and interest in journalism and newspaper production.
- General knowledge of the AS, its functions, branches and programs.
- Responsiveness to deadline pressure, time management skills, flexibility of personal schedule.
- Ability to communicate with and interview a wide variety of people.
- Ability to write clear and concise news or feature articles.
- Will be a student for 2013-2014 academic year.
|Academic Emphasis: All majors encouraged to apply.
|Job Location: Western Washington University - Viking Union
|Salary: This position will receive a Level III wage, which is set for this position at $9.19/hour.
|Bargaining Union: Not applicable|
|Application Instructions and Requested Documents: |
Please log in below and submit your application via Western's Electronic System for Employment (EASE). Note: You will need to be using Internet Explorer to utilize our online application system.
A cover letter and resume are required and should address your experience related to the position responsibilities and the required and preferred qualifications. In your cover letter please also specifically address the following questions:
- Why are you interested in working for the Associated Students?
- Why are you interested in working in this position?
- What specific skills, knowledge, and/or experience (paid and volunteer) do you have that would help you be successful in this position?
- What is your schedule of availability for a job interview?
- Please upload three journalistic writing samples
You may cut and paste or upload your resume and cover letter as noted on the EASE application. Please complete the education and work experience section of the EASE application and submit the names and contact information of two professional references.
|Other Information: N/A
|Job Posted: 4/1/2013|
|Closing Date: 5/13/2013|
|Recruitment #: 130144|
|Western Washington University (WWU) is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, WWU does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information in its programs or activities, including employment, admissions, and educational programs. See WWU's Policy on Providing Equal Opportunity and Nondiscrimination.
EO/AA inquiries may be directed to the Vice Provost for Equal Opportunity and Employment Diversity, Title IX Coordinator, Equal Opportunity Office, Western Washington University, Old Main 345 (MS 9021), 516 High Street, Bellingham, WA 98225; 360.650.3307 (voice) or 711 (Washington Relay); EOO.
WWU is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request. To request this document in an alternate format or to request an accommodation, please contact Human Resources Disability Services, 360.650.3774 or 711 (Washington Relay).
All new employees must comply with the immunization policy and show employment eligibility verification as required by the U.S. Citizen and Immigration Service before beginning work at WWU. A thorough background check will be conducted on all new hires.