Welcome to the Western Washington University on-line application process. Before you begin, please print out the job announcement; you may need to refer to it while completing the application. |
|About the Position: The Bicycle Staff assists Outdoor Center users with bicycle maintenance and retail transactions. |
Term of Position: Position begins Sept 25th, 2013
|About the College/Department: The purpose of the Outdoor Center (OC) is to enhance opportunities for members of Western’s community to involve themselves in outdoor recreation activities. The OC provides a spectrum of programs, resources and services to enable the students, faculty, staff and Alumni Association members to safely participate in a variety of activities, develop and refine skills, practice environmental responsibility, and interact with each other and members of the community. |
This position reports to the AS Outdoor Center Equipment Shop Coordinator.
|Position Responsibilities: |
- Assist students in repair and maintenance of bicycles and related equipment.
- Sell retail bicycle parts; stock retail merchandise.
- Perform daily shop cleaning and maintenance.
- Work no more than fifteen (15) hours a week. Hours will be assigned according to shop needs.
- Attend staff meetings and trainings as requested by the AS Outdoor Center Equipment Shop Coordinator and/or AS Outdoor Center Manager.
- Master bike maintenance and repair skills as requested in training.
- Assist the AS Outdoor Center Equipment Shop Coordinator during trainings of other Bike techs.
- Performance of other duties assigned by the AS Outdoor Center Equipment Shop Coordinator and/or other Salaried Staff.
- Follow all Outdoor Center policies.
AS Employment Responsibilities:
- Serve the diverse membership of the Associated Students in a professional and ethical manner by:
- Being familiar with and upholding the AS Charter, all WWU policies, and all AS policies including the Employment Policy, Code of Conduct, and Program Standards.
- Attending AS staff development events.
- Being knowledgeable of the AS organization and its general operations.
- Serving on search committees as designated by the AS Personnel Director.
- Ensure the legacy of this position by:
- Working with supervisor and Personnel Director to revise and update position job description.
- Working with the previous position holder to complete a minimum of 15 hours of unpaid internship as well as providing a 15 hour internship to the incoming position holder.
- Developing and maintaining a legacy document as required by the AS Employment Policy.
|Required Qualifications: |
- Maintain a minimum credit load throughout term of position of 6 credits for undergraduates and 4 credits for graduates.
- Maintain a minimum of a 2.00 cumulative grade point average.
- Ability to complete the entire term of the position.
|Preferred Qualifications: |
- Organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with a wide variety of people on Western’s campus and in the Bellingham community.
- Ability to work independently and responsibly, while supervising others.
- Ability to work collaborativelywith multiple people and organizations.
- Ability to work within deadlines and problem solve.
- Ability to work flexible hours.
- Budget management knowledge or experience.
|Academic Emphasis: All majors encouraged to apply.
|Job Location: Western Washington University - Viking Union 150
|Salary: This position will receive $9.19/hour.
|Bargaining Union: Not applicable|
|Application Instructions and Requested Documents: |
Please log in below and submit your application via Western's Electronic System for Employment (EASE). Note: You will need to be using Internet Explorer to utilize our online application system.
A cover letter and resume are required and should address your experience related to the position responsibilities and the required and preferred qualifications. In your cover letter please also specifically address the following questions:
You may cut and paste or upload your resume and cover letter as noted on the EASE application. Please complete the education and work experience section of the EASE application and submit the names and contact information of two professional references.
- Why are you interested in working for the Associated Students?
- Why are you interested in working in this position?
- What specific skills, knowledge, and/or experience (paid and volunteer) do you have that would help you be successful in this position?
- What is your schedule of availability for a job interview?
|Other Information: Criminal verification report required.
|Job Posted: 4/1/2013|
|Closing Date: 5/13/2013|
|Recruitment #: 130167|
|Western Washington University (WWU) is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer
committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and
veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to
fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, WWU does not discriminate on the basis of race, color,
creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and parenting status), disability, age, veteran status, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information in its programs or activities, including
employment, admissions, and educational programs. See WWU's Policy on Ensuring Equal Opportunity and
Prohibiting Discrimination and Retaliation. Inquiries may be directed to the Vice Provost for Equal Opportunity and
Employment Diversity, Title IX and ADA Coordinator, Equal Opportunity Office, Western Washington University, Old Main
345 (MS 9021), 516 High Street, Bellingham, WA 98225; 360.650.3307 (voice) or 711 (Washington Relay); email@example.com|
WWU is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request. To request this document in an alternate format or to request an accommodation, please contact Human Resources Disability Services, 360.650.3774 or 711 (Washington Relay).
All new employees must comply with the immunization policy and show employment eligibility verification as required by the U.S. Citizen and Immigration Service before beginning work at WWU. A thorough background check will be conducted on all new hires.