Welcome to the Western Washington University on-line application process. Before you begin, please print out the job announcement; you may need to refer to it while completing the application. |
|About the Position: The Manager of Communications and Marketing is responsible for creating and managing the strategy and content of allcommunication pertaining to undergraduate recruitment, admissions and yield enhancement. In this role, the Manager is also the primary writer of recruitment, admissions and yield enhancement materials while collaborating with a creative team of admissions, marketing and other university colleagues who contribute to the development and dissemination of all marketing communication efforts. |
In order to effectively tell Western’s story, the Manager must cultivate strong relationships with academic departments, various programs on- and off-campus and the greater WWU community. Although the Office of Admissions communicates with a wide range of audiences, the Manager of Communications and Marketing must be particularly adept at reaching and inspiring the 16 – 22 year old prospective student market.
|About the College/Department: Admissions
|Position Responsibilities: |
- Translating Western’s vision, values and offerings into words and images that build reputation and increase interest of prospective students, parents, high school and community college counselors and related audiences
- Managing a comprehensive and integrated communication plan that includes all written, electronic, new media, etc. efforts
- Writing of all recruitment, admissions and yield materials including print publications, electronic communication, Admissions website, etc.
- Serving as liaison with a variety of on- and off-campus colleagues, including students, faculty, alumni, staff and other members of the greater WWU community who contribute to Western’s story and/or share a common goal of telling the story
- Participating as a key member of the Admissions Strategic Planning team
- Supervising the Admissions Communications Consultant web/new media position
- Providing leadership and direction for the Communications Team, IT staff and others in support of marketing communication initiatives
- Performing general recruitment and admission responsibilities, including application and scholarship review, general customer service, representing the University in a variety of public speaking venues and related duties
- Other duties as assigned
- Position is exempt professional; evening and weekend work is expected and varies throughout the year and includes travel
|Required Qualifications: |
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of three years of experience in higher education, journalism, marketing or a related profession with responsibility for translating an organization’s vision, values and offerings into words and images that build reputation and increase interest of a clearly identified audience
- Outstanding written, interpersonal communication and public speaking skills
- Demonstrated success in publication creation, professional writing, editing and proofreading
- Strong project management and organizational skills, including ability to set priorities, manage simultaneous projectsand complete projects on time
- Experience using social media marketing tools to build brand awareness and a demonstrated interest in keeping abreast of new technologies
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse range of constituents, including but not limited to students, staff members, faculty, high school counselors and marketing representatives
|Preferred Qualifications: |
- Familiarity with the selective admissions funnel and desired communication outcomes throughout the process
- Demonstrated ability to effectively reach the 16-22 year old market
- Previous experience supervising professional staff
|Academic Emphasis: N/A
|Job Location: Western Washington University, Bellingham, WA
|Salary: This is a full-time, 12-month administrative FLSA exempt position with an excellent benefits package. Salary typically begins at $47,000.
|Bargaining Union: Not applicable|
|Application Instructions and Requested Documents: Please sign in below to submit your application via WWU's Electronic Application System for Employment (EASE). Applications must be submitted electronically to the HR website at https://jobs.wwu.edu/ |
A complete application packet includes the following:
2) Cover letter addressing your experience related to the position responsibilities and the required and preferred qualifications
3) A one-page written summary of factors for Western’s Office of Admissions to consider when marketing college to an increasingly diverse group of high school-aged students
4) Contact information for three references
5) Portfolio of three samples of related work (at least one electronic)
All finalists will be required to submit a college transcript (unofficial is acceptable) with verification of bachelor’s degree completion.
|Other Information: Follow Western Employment on Facebook and WWUEmployment on Twitter|
If you have questions about the application process, please contact Shawn Flaherty, Admissions Search Coordinator, at Shawn.Flaherty@wwu.edu or 360-650-7655.
|Job Posted: 4/24/2013|
|Closing Date Notes: Application review begins May 24, 2013; position is open until filled|
|Recruitment #: 130188|
|Western Washington University (WWU) is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer
committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and
veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to
fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, WWU does not discriminate on the basis of race, color,
creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and parenting status), disability, age, veteran status, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information in its programs or activities, including
employment, admissions, and educational programs. See WWU's Policy on Ensuring Equal Opportunity and
Prohibiting Discrimination and Retaliation. Inquiries may be directed to the Vice Provost for Equal Opportunity and
Employment Diversity, Title IX and ADA Coordinator, Equal Opportunity Office, Western Washington University, Old Main
345 (MS 9021), 516 High Street, Bellingham, WA 98225; 360.650.3307 (voice) or 711 (Washington Relay); firstname.lastname@example.org|
WWU is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request. To request this document in an alternate format or to request an accommodation, please contact Human Resources Disability Services, 360.650.3774 or 711 (Washington Relay).
All new employees must comply with the immunization policy and show employment eligibility verification as required by the U.S. Citizen and Immigration Service before beginning work at WWU. A thorough background check will be conducted on all new hires.