Welcome to the Western Washington University on-line application process. Before you begin, please print out the job announcement; you may need to refer to it while completing the application. |
|About the Position: The principal purpose of the Contracts Specialist 2 position is to play a key role in the University’s contracting processes by ensuring University contracts are prepared and processed in accordance with University policies and state laws and regulations. This position prepares contracts, interagency agreements, leases, and letters of understanding to provide or obtain services or goods for the University. It provides technical contract support activities such as contract cost/price analysis, contract compliance administration or contract property administration. The position provides guidance to campus clients on appropriate course of action for procurement/contracting methodology for goods and services. This position works under general supervision of the Director of Business Services. |
This is a full-time, permanent classified staff position and includes a full benefits package.
This position is part of a Public School Employees of Washington bargaining unit. New employees are required to meet the membership requirements of the current collective bargaining agreement within 30 calendar days of employment.
|About the College/Department: Business Services
|Position Responsibilities: |
- Review/analyze contract requests for compliance with University policies, State legal and administrative code, IRS code and guidelines, labor agreements and other commitments
- Determine, initiate and ensure correct contract processing and routing steps including identifying appropriate delegated signature authorities and approvers
- Prepare and interpret complex contractdocuments
- Develop and recommend contract language to limit risk and ensure contractor performance and accuracy of payment terms
- Arrange for or perform an analysis of proposals for technical requirements and cost factors; request regulation, policy or procedure changes or, if necessary, obtain special approval to deviate from regulations, policy or procedures
- Assist in development of criteria used to assess and evaluate contractor’s capability to provide services
- Negotiate with parties to any contract, agreement, etc., on terms and conditions
- Assist in developing performance based contracts which emphasize results related to output, quality and outcomes
- Assist in developing contract measurable performance standards
- Develop and lead user committees that aid in development of contract specifications or contract dispute resolution
- Analyze, research, and propose solutions to contract and payment related questions, issues and concerns
- Analyze complex policies and laws to determine proper contract initiation and subsequent routing
- Provide guidance and direction to campus regarding contracting and other Business Services policies and procedures
- Prepare and conduct individual and group training sessions
- Coordinate review, renewal, and termination of agreements
- Review payment requests for conformance with contract terms
- Collaborate with departments to assess needs and develop contract templates
- Maintain a list of authorized contract signatories
- Prepare and interpret financial data, performance metrics, procurement and contract statistics; written correspondence and qualitative summaries regarding contract performance, contract procedures, or other subjects requested by Management
- Identify opportunities to gain efficiencies and implement improvements to processes and policies
- Train and direct work of Contracts support staff
- Perform other duties as required
|Required Qualifications: |
- Bachelor’s Degree involving major study in business administration, public administration, business law, commerce, economics, mathematics, statistics, or other closely aligned field
- 2 years of experience in negotiating, administering, or terminating contracts, contract property management, contract cost or price analysis, or contract compliance administration
- Ability to work well with a diverse student body and staff
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to take an independent, leading role in all aspects of the contracting process (e.g. contract compliance, routing, etc.)
- Proficient with word processing and spreadsheet software, i.e., Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and Access
|Preferred Qualifications: |
- Higher education experience
- Knowledge of: State procurement statutes and administrative codes, government contracting and procurement techniques; regulations, policies and procedures for preparation of contracts, agreements, etc.; business and professional services, practices and trends, sources of supply and cost factors, contract terminology and development
- Ability to: deal with representatives of business, the professions and institutions, to agree on terms of contracts; assure compliance with terms of contracts, agreement, etc., and obtain timely delivery of goods or services at the most reasonable prices; coordinate contract negotiation work with efforts of other units in need of services if applicable; advise department offices and sections on contract terms and conditions
- A law degree from an accredited college or university approved by the Washington State Bar Association may be substituted for the experience and education; A Masters degree in one of the above academic disciplines may be substituted for one (1) year of experience. Additional qualifying experience may be substituted, year for year, for the education.
|Academic Emphasis: N/A
|Job Location: Western Washington University, Bellingham, WA
|Salary: New hires typically begin at $3,549/month
|Bargaining Union: D|
|Application Instructions and Requested Documents: Please log in below and submit your application via WWU's Electronic Application System for Employment (EASE). Note: You will need to be using Internet Explorer to fully utilize our online application system. |
A cover letter and resume are required and should address your experience related to the position responsibilities and the required and preferred qualifications. You may cut and paste or upload your resume and cover letter as noted on the EASE application.
Please complete the education and work experience section of the EASE application and submit the names and contact information of three professional references.
|Other Information: Follow Western Employment on Facebook and WWUEmployment on Twitter
|Job Posted: 5/2/2013|
|Closing Date: 5/23/2013|
|Recruitment #: 130200|
|Western Washington University (WWU) is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, WWU does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information in its programs or activities, including employment, admissions, and educational programs. See WWU's Policy on Providing Equal Opportunity and Nondiscrimination.
EO/AA inquiries may be directed to the Vice Provost for Equal Opportunity and Employment Diversity, Title IX Coordinator, Equal Opportunity Office, Western Washington University, Old Main 345 (MS 9021), 516 High Street, Bellingham, WA 98225; 360.650.3307 (voice) or 711 (Washington Relay); EOO.
WWU is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request. To request this document in an alternate format or to request an accommodation, please contact Human Resources Disability Services, 360.650.3774 or 711 (Washington Relay).
All new employees must comply with the immunization policy and show employment eligibility verification as required by the U.S. Citizen and Immigration Service before beginning work at WWU. A thorough background check will be conducted on all new hires.