Welcome to the Western Washington University on-line application process. Before you begin, please print out the job announcement; you may need to refer to it while completing the application. |
|About the Position: Western Washington University’s Department of Journalism is seeking an Administrative Services Manager A to oversee all aspects of the operation and management of the department and provide administrative assistance to the department and faculty. This is a full-time position with work beginning in June 2013. |
The position is part of a Public School Employees of Western Washington University Bargaining Unit D. New employees are required to meet the membership requirements of the current collective bargaining agreement within 30 calendar days of employment.
|About the College/Department: The Department of Journalism offers strong, professionally oriented undergraduate news-editorial, public relations and visual journalism sequences. The department has seven full-time faculty positions and numerous adjunct instructors, and about 240 majors and pre-majors. Administrative staff includes several work-study students and one half-time Office Assistant.
|Position Responsibilities: |
- Manage infrastructure of the department under direction of the chair, including design and implementation of policies and procedures; assist faculty with implementation of curriculum changes and hiring processes; and advise students, staff and faculty on policies, procedures and departmental activities.
- Oversee budget and fiscal records. Prepare financial reports, track and monitor expenditures, prepare cost estimates and fiscal projections, and prepare contracts and proposals. Handle logistics and budgets for faculty and other department staff including forms in regard to travel, conferences and reimbursements as needed; process personnel action forms, faculty sick leave records, purchase orders and other forms; and forms in regard to department events.
- Hire undergraduate student staff and supervise student and classified staff. Monitor payroll for classified staff; monitor cyclic leave.
- Communicate with students regarding schedules and enrollment, including monitoring registration. Maintain student academic records. Manage all student service activities such as tours, informational interviews, academic advising on department requirements, scholarship processes and alumni interactions. Oversee scholarship information and awards.
- Manage recordkeeping activities for faculty contracts and class timetables, including summer session; prepare the timetable of class information for Banner.
- Oversee computer work and network operations for the department. Monitor keys assignments.
- Be in charge of safety for the department.
- Assist the chair in other ways as needed, such as providing statistical data and other requested information for reports.
|Required Qualifications: |
- Three years working in an administrative capacity
- Experience working with students and faculty
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and a web browser
- Experience managing budgets and finances
- Ability to deal with a diverse population and work well interdepartmentally
- Demonstrated attention to detail and the ability to juggle multiple tasks and projects
- Excellent communication skills – both oral and written
|Preferred Qualifications: |
- Supervisory experience
- Experience with both Mac and PC computer platforms
- Proficiency with Banner
- Experience managing web pages
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- Experience and knowledge in a higher education setting
- Experience working with e-forms and contracts
|Academic Emphasis: N/A
|Job Location: Western Washington University, Bellingham, WA
|Salary: New hires typically begin at $3063/month including an excellent benefits package
|Bargaining Union: D|
|Application Instructions and Requested Documents: Please log in below and submit your application via WWU's Electronic Application System for Employment (EASE). Note: You will need to be using Internet Explorer to fully utilize our online application system. |
A cover letter and resume are required and should address your experience related to the position responsibilities and the required and preferred qualifications. You may cut and paste or upload your resume and cover letter as noted on the EASE application.
Please complete the education and work experience section of the EASE application and submit the names and contact information of three professional references.
|Other Information: Follow Western Employment on Facebook and WWUEmployment on Twitter
|Job Posted: 5/21/2013|
|Closing Date: 5/28/2013|
|Recruitment #: 130218|
|Western Washington University (WWU) is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, WWU does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information in its programs or activities, including employment, admissions, and educational programs. See WWU's Policy on Providing Equal Opportunity and Nondiscrimination.
EO/AA inquiries may be directed to the Vice Provost for Equal Opportunity and Employment Diversity, Title IX Coordinator, Equal Opportunity Office, Western Washington University, Old Main 345 (MS 9021), 516 High Street, Bellingham, WA 98225; 360.650.3307 (voice) or 711 (Washington Relay); EOO.
WWU is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request. To request this document in an alternate format or to request an accommodation, please contact Human Resources Disability Services, 360.650.3774 or 711 (Washington Relay).
All new employees must comply with the immunization policy and show employment eligibility verification as required by the U.S. Citizen and Immigration Service before beginning work at WWU. A thorough background check will be conducted on all new hires.