Welcome to the Western Washington University on-line application process. Before you begin, please print out the job announcement; you may need to refer to it while completing the application. |
|About the Position: This is a full-time, 12 month classified staff position with a full benefits package. The expected start date is August 19, 2013. |
The Administrative Assistant supports the Director of Academic and Career Development Services (ACDS) and under the direction of the Director, facilitates the day-to-day operation of the Academic Advising Center including secretarial/receptionist support, committee support and personnel support. The Administrative Assistant is a member of the Director’s management team along with the department’s three assistant directors. The Administrative Assistant hires, trains and supervises one student office assistant.
The Administrative Assistant should be a motivated person who is able to anticipate needs and communicate critical information and who enjoys supporting a hard-working team in a fast-paced office environment. The person hired for this position should enjoy working with people, have outstanding communication skills and the ability to handle multiple priorities with frequent interruptions.
This position is part of a Public School Employees of WWU bargaining unit. New employees are required to meet the membership requirements of the current collective bargaining agreement within 30 calendar days of employment.
|About the College/Department: Academic and Career Development Services is comprised of three units: the Academic Advising Center, the Career Services Center and the Tutoring Center. The three units work together to provide integrated services to support student success. The Academic Advising Center provides centralized advising support for first year students, undeclared students and students experiencing academic difficulty.
|Position Responsibilities: |
- SECRETARIAL SUPPORT
- Primary responsibility for office operations within the Academic Advising Center including inquiries, mail, purchasing, office and equipment maintenance/repairs, personnel records, development and maintenance of office forms, travel arrangements, catering orders and scheduling of conference room. Monitors expenses against budgets. Coordinates closely with Assistant Director – Advising Services and Co-Coordinator – Advising Services on oversight of students who staff the reception desk. Manages Director’s calendar and coordinates scheduling of staff meetings.
- COMMITTEE SUPPORT
- Provides administrative support for the Scholastic Standing Committee including preparation and maintenance of petition files, scheduling of quarterly committee meetings, correspondence with students petitioning for reinstatement and preparation of necessary reports. Assists Director in providing training for new committee members.
- Schedules and coordinates agenda for quarterly Department Advisor Group meetings which involves department advisors from all of the university’s colleges.
- PERSONNEL SUPPORT
- Process necessary forms EPAFS (electronic hiring forms) through Banner for new and returning student employees in Academic Advising Center, Career Services Center and Tutoring Center. Initiate accounts through ATUS, request access to Banner through Registrar’s Office and long distance authorization codes from Telecommunications as needed. This includes one Office Assistant, Peer Advisors, Academic Student Advisors employed for new student orientation programs and Tutors. ACDS employs 80-90 students per year. Monitor and approve timesheets for student employees in Academic Advising Center.
- Process necessary forms for new professional staff hires in Academic Advising Center. Initiate accounts through ATUS, request access to Banner through Registrar’s Office and long distance authorization forms through Telecommunications.
- Support the Director in the annual recruitment of faculty and departmental advisors for new student orientation programs. This includes preparation of recruiting materials and communication, on behalf of Director, with Department Chairs, College Deans and the Provost’s Office. Process the necessary forms and work closely with HR to ensure that advisor stipends are paid promptly and accurately. This involves processing and monitoring personnel action forms for approximately 50 advisors per year.
- SCHOLARSHIP ADMINISTRATION
- Responsible for administration of three scholarships: the Harold and Lyla Lant Pre-Law Scholarship, The Whatcom County Medical Society Pre-Med Scholarship and the Dr. Ralph and Mrs. Eleanor Rinne Pre-Med Scholarship.
- Confirm scholarship amounts with the Western Foundation, prepare scholarship publicity and application materials and coordinate of review of applications by committees set up for each scholarship. Upon selection of scholarship recipients, prepare notification letters and coordinate as needed with Western Foundation.
|Required Qualifications: |
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of three years of applicable professional experience with increasing levels of responsibility
- High level of proficiency in Banner or related data management system, and MS Office including Outlook, Word, Excel
- Demonstrated ability to:
- Maintain confidentiality
- Work effectively, professionally and collaboratively in a busy office environment
- Communicate professionally and effectively at all levels of the University
- Manage time well and work effectively under multiple deadlines and priorities in a flexible manner
- Generate high-quality work with a careful attention to detail
- Work independently
- Follow established office and university procedures
|Preferred Qualifications: |
- Bachelor’s degree
- Proficiency with Publisher
- Experience working with college students and faculty
- Employment experience at Western Washington University
|Academic Emphasis: N/A
|Job Location: Western Washington University, Bellingham, WA
|Salary: New hires typically begin at $2598/month including an excellent benefits package
|Bargaining Union: D|
|Application Instructions and Requested Documents: Please log in below and submit your application via WWU's Electronic Application System for Employment (EASE). Note: You will need to be using Internet Explorer to fully utilize our online application system. |
A cover letter and resume are required and should address your experience related to the position responsibilities and the required and preferred qualifications. You may cut and paste or upload your resume and cover letter as noted on the EASE application.
|Other Information: Follow Western Employment on Facebook and WWUEmployment on Twitter
|Job Posted: 7/1/2013|
|Closing Date: 7/11/2013|
|Recruitment #: 130358|
|Western Washington University (WWU) is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer
committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and
veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to
fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, WWU does not discriminate on the basis of race, color,
creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and parenting status), disability, age, veteran status, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information in its programs or activities, including
employment, admissions, and educational programs. See WWU's Policy on Ensuring Equal Opportunity and
Prohibiting Discrimination and Retaliation. Inquiries may be directed to the Vice Provost for Equal Opportunity and
Employment Diversity, Title IX and ADA Coordinator, Equal Opportunity Office, Western Washington University, Old Main
345 (MS 9021), 516 High Street, Bellingham, WA 98225; 360.650.3307 (voice) or 711 (Washington Relay); firstname.lastname@example.org|
WWU is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request. To request this document in an alternate format or to request an accommodation, please contact Human Resources Disability Services, 360.650.3774 or 711 (Washington Relay).
All new employees must comply with the immunization policy and show employment eligibility verification as required by the U.S. Citizen and Immigration Service before beginning work at WWU. A thorough background check will be conducted on all new hires.