Welcome to the Western Washington University on-line application process. Before you begin, please print out the job announcement; you may need to refer to it while completing the application. |
|About the Position: The Office Assistant 3 serves as a resource/front line person and primary information source for the Dean of Students Administrative Unit (Viking Union/Student Activities/Dean of Students/Student Life/AS Board of Directors). Customer service of the highest quality and multi-tasking is a part of the daily functions of this position.|
This position is part of a Washington Federation of State Employees bargaining unit. New employees are required to meet the membership requirements of the current collective bargaining unit agreement within 30 calendar days of employment.
|About the College/Department: Dean of Students (DOS) Administrative Unit
|Position Responsibilities: |
- Compile and disseminate information of interest to clientele, ensuring a customer friendly environment for the Reception Desk, while providing directions and assistance to customers via in person and telephone
- Develop procedures for desk operation, order and maintain stock of brochures and pamphlets and distribute forms related to space reservations, information, vending permits, posting, club registrations, etc.
- Provide interpretations for policies related to reservations, approval and posting of banners, room reservations, key checkouts, Election Code, AS and VU Student employment Policies, Exterior Space Use, Free Speech, Chalking, AS Vehicles and AS Clubs, among others
- Ensure policies are in the University format (Peabody) and are sent to the VU Technical Services Manager in a timely manner when updated or changed; may be required to attend meetings relating to policies
- Schedule meetings for the Director of VU Facilities and for other exempt professional staff as assigned, mainly as it relates to clubs and club advising
- Schedule Webinars including reserving room/technology
- Act as first contact for inquiries regarding applications for open Associated Students and Viking Union student positions; ensure applications are complete when receiving during business hours
- Coordinate and oversee all aspects of VU Student Employment procedures and processes
- Maintain current Viking Union position search files
- Work with Student Employment Office to advertise and fill all Viking Union student positions
- Maintain schedule of performance evaluations due each quarter for VU hourly student employees and work with supervisors to monitor completion of evaluations
- Enter salary changes into NOAEPAF and ensure that the Student Employment Database is updated
- Maintain the key inventory for the Viking Union facility, including the production and maintenance of inventory usage records
- Issue keys and key rings to permanent staff and student staff for office access, building access, equipment, cabinets, etc.
- Manage the AS and VU Student Employment database and ensures records for student employees are entered and updated as needed
- Work with supervisors and the Finance Office to ensure students who are no longer active are removed from the payroll lists and that the database is updated
- Work closely with AS Personnel Director to answer day-to-day employment questions and provide training on how to use the Student Employment Database
- Collect, maintain and distribute contact information on all Dean of Students, Viking Union/Associated Students permanent staff, Student Life, Western Leadership Advantage, Ethnic Student Center and Student Outreach Services
- Check copier each morning; clear paper jams and troubleshoot other problems; request repairs when necessary
- Create and update binders for administrators as assigned
- Assist in answering questions and trouble shooting for phone problems, voice message problems, forwarding problems, etc; act as liaison with Telecommunications
- Order and maintain supplies for the VU Administrative office staff
- Order and keep track of toner for all AS/VU/ Dean of Students printers
- Order and modify forms utilized by the VU/Student Activities/AS organizations
- Serves as the TEM travel delegate for the Dean of Students Unit; works with designated staff to complete registration for conferences and travel reimbursement forms if needed
- Serve as main contact and coordinate all updates for the Dean's Administrative Unit for the Campus Directory
- Compile photos, statistics, and Word documents annually for the ESS Annual Report
- Perform other duties as assigned
|Required Qualifications: |
- High School graduate or equivalent
- 2 years clerical experience
- Demonstrated front line customer service experience with at least 1 year customer service experience in a diverse environment
- Demonstrated ability to work front line in a busy, interruptive environment, while multi-tasking, servicing customers, answering phones and meeting deadlines with at least 6 months experience (as front line in a busy, high traffic environment)
- 6 months Outlook experience
- 1 year experience with MS Word and Excel
|Preferred Qualifications: |
- Experience working in a university setting
- MS Office Suite Experience
|Academic Emphasis: N/A
|Job Location: Western Washington University, Bellingham, WA
|Salary: New hires typically begin at $2161/month including an excellent benefits package
|Bargaining Union: A|
|Application Instructions and Requested Documents: Please log in below and submit your application via WWU's Electronic Application System for Employment (EASE). Note: You will need to be using Internet Explorer to fully utilize our online application system. |
A cover letter and resume are required and should address your experience related to the position responsibilities and the required and preferred qualifications. You may cut and paste or upload your resume and cover letter as noted on the EASE application.
Please complete the education and work experience section of the EASE application and submit the names and contact information of three professional references.
|Other Information: Follow Western Employment on Facebook and WWUEmployment on Twitter
|Job Posted: 9/26/2013|
|Closing Date: 10/3/2013|
|Recruitment #: 130430|
|Western Washington University (WWU) is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, WWU does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information in its programs or activities, including employment, admissions, and educational programs. See WWU's Policy on Providing Equal Opportunity and Nondiscrimination.
EO/AA inquiries may be directed to the Vice Provost for Equal Opportunity and Employment Diversity, Title IX Coordinator, Equal Opportunity Office, Western Washington University, Old Main 345 (MS 9021), 516 High Street, Bellingham, WA 98225; 360.650.3307 (voice) or 711 (Washington Relay); EOO.
WWU is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request. To request this document in an alternate format or to request an accommodation, please contact Human Resources Disability Services, 360.650.3774 or 711 (Washington Relay).
All new employees must comply with the immunization policy and show employment eligibility verification as required by the U.S. Citizen and Immigration Service before beginning work at WWU. A thorough background check will be conducted on all new hires.