Welcome to the Western Washington University on-line application process. Before you begin, please print out the job announcement; you may need to refer to it while completing the application. |
|About the Position: The part-time custodian position works under general direction of the Facility Operations Manager and reports directly to the Lead Custodian. Custodians perform a variety of cleaning tasks in the residence halls, apartments, and dining facilities. The custodian works in the residential community and is frequently around residents and conference guests. For the purpose of emergencies or inclement weather, this position is considered essential personnel. Between June 1 and September 30, this custodian 1 position will work full-time to support the University summer conference program.|
This position is part of a Washington Federation of State Employees bargaining unit. New employees are required to meet the membership requirements of the current collective bargaining unit agreement within 30 calendar days of employment.
|About the College/Department: University Residences Facilities
|Position Responsibilities: |
- Essential Job Function I, 80% Bathroom and Floor Cleaning
- Disinfect, clean and sanitize public and suite restrooms, showers, and tubs
- Dust and wipe furniture, sweep, mop or vacuum floors, empty wastebaskets, trash, and recycle containers
- Wash interior and easily accessible exterior windows
- Replace light bulbs
- Strip, clean, buff, and apply finish to floors
- Use high-speed floor buffers/polishers, vacuum and clean carpets
- Use and maintain assigned power equipment and hand tools such as, vacuums, brooms, mops, squeegee, carpet extractors, water pickup machines and ladders for cleaning and general maintenance of floors, walls, carpets, lights, and furniture
- Physically perform essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation to include, but not limited to:
- Effective communication skills
- Stooping, bending, kneeling, lifting, standing, walking, climbing, twisting, stretching, and reaching
- Being mobile and standing on your feet 100% of the assigned shift
- Repeated pushing, pulling and lifting of 50 pounds
- Using a backpack vacuum, upright vacuum, and extractor with wand for two hours without rest
- Within an 8-hour shift must be able to move freely from one floor to the next using stairs and from one building to another over uneven surfaces
- Fit in tight places in order to clean urinals or toilets in a restroom stall including behind the fixtures on the floor
- Perform standard routine cleaning in all of the area types including, stairs, restrooms, offices, and public areas
- Essential Job Function III, 20% Equipment Use, Care and Periodic Duties Related to Position
- Clean offices, entrance halls, lobbies, stairs, landings, elevators, windows, porches, patios, and sundecks
- Clean outside of assigned buildings within 15 feet.
- May check students in and out; issue linen and bedding; keep student rooms inventory records; change and make beds, set-up and take down bunk beds
- Comply with safety policies and procedures regarding the use of chemicals and equipment
- Follow University policies and procedures including proper use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Immediately report safety problems and accidents to your supervisor
- Accurately and safely mix chemicals according to label directions
- Must be able to work any shift and have the flexibility to change shift with appropriate notice
- Willing to obtain certification in asbestos/mold/lead abatement
- Assist in completing inventories of supplies and building inspections
- Must be available to respond to emergencies and work overtime and on weekends/holidays as required
- Report need for repairs and/or maintenance of custodial equipment and building facilities
- Move furniture, equipment, supplies and tools on an as needed basis
- Apply de-icer material and remove snow and/or ice from walkways, pathways, patios, sidewalks and stairs
- Work independently as well as cooperatively as a part of a team
- Perform other duties as required
|Required Qualifications: |
- One year + experience providing custodial duties in an educational or commercial setting
- Physical ability to lift a minimum of 25lbs to perform the required work
- Ability to interact in a positive manner with the campus community including students, staff, building managers, academic personnel, craft personnel, and co-workers in a diverse environment
- Work effectively with employees at all levels of the organization, outside agencies, and the general public
- Demonstrated ability to read, write and follow oral/written instructions
- Basic computer skills to read and send e-mail; and complete on-line timesheets and leave requests
|Preferred Qualifications: |
- Two years + experience in housekeeping or custodial work in a college or educational environment
- One year + experience in a team cleaning environment
|Academic Emphasis: N/A
|Job Location: Western Washington University, Bellingham, WA
|Salary: New hires typically begin at $964.50/month including an excellent benefits package
|Bargaining Union: B|
|Application Instructions and Requested Documents: Please log in below and submit your application via WWU's Electronic Application System for Employment (EASE). Note: You will need to be using Internet Explorer to fully utilize our online application system. |
A cover letter and resume are required and should address your experience related to the position responsibilities and the required and preferred qualifications. You may cut and paste or upload your resume and cover letter as noted on the EASE application.
Please complete the education and work experience section of the EASE application and submit the names and contact information of three professional references.
|Other Information: Follow Western Employment on Facebook and WWUEmployment on Twitter
|Job Posted: 9/20/2013|
|Closing Date: 10/11/2013|
|Recruitment #: 130437|
|Western Washington University (WWU) is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, WWU does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information in its programs or activities, including employment, admissions, and educational programs. See WWU's Policy on Providing Equal Opportunity and Nondiscrimination.
EO/AA inquiries may be directed to the Vice Provost for Equal Opportunity and Employment Diversity, Title IX Coordinator, Equal Opportunity Office, Western Washington University, Old Main 345 (MS 9021), 516 High Street, Bellingham, WA 98225; 360.650.3307 (voice) or 711 (Washington Relay); EOO.
WWU is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request. To request this document in an alternate format or to request an accommodation, please contact Human Resources Disability Services, 360.650.3774 or 711 (Washington Relay).
All new employees must comply with the immunization policy and show employment eligibility verification as required by the U.S. Citizen and Immigration Service before beginning work at WWU. A thorough background check will be conducted on all new hires.